16 Jun 2014

How to paint - Khorne Hero on horse

I have a descend 1500 point Warriors of Chaos list but only one hero on foot additionally caring a Khorne icon. I like the models for Hero/Lord on horse and Juggernaut that GW has in offer but I decided that I have so many bits that I will do my own small conversions. I started my work with the hero on horse.

Unfortunately I have most of my bits in one box and I don't remember from which box some of the parts are coming but I try to specify the list for the small conversion that I did. You can review the ready miniature here.

  • S - Skullcrushers box
  • CK - Chaos Knights
  • WoC - Warriors of Chaos

Parts - Horse

  • Horse - CK
  • Horns on horse head - WoC
  • Skull on horse head - WoC
  • Head on horse back - WoC
  • Rotting head on horse back - ?
  • One spike - plastic stick from somewhere

Parts - Base

  • Shield - WoC
  • Heads - WoC

Parts - Rider

  • Torso - S
  • Legs - CK
  • Hands & Shield - S
  • Head - S
  • Shoulder strap - CK
  • Shoulder strap horns - WoC

Base

I use a WoC shield and remove the hand holding the shield. Then using side cutter I cut here and there on the shield to make here look battered. Using a hobby knife I made a hole inside the shield.

Then I took WoC head and removed horns that later where used on shoulders. I cut off 1/3 part of the head with an angle and fit the head to the base that it looks like buried in the ground.

Finally I apply mixture of sand and small rocks.

Horse

First I cut off stones under hoof as I wanted to give the horse different angle. Then using a file I added small angle that the horse looks like standing on his back legs.

On the head I cut the front spike in half and put a skull between.

For the left and right side of the head I used horns from a Warrior of Chaos.

I proceed to the back of the horse. I used second head of WoC - just cut in half one of the spikes that the horse have and glue the head on. I used hobby knife to drill small hole in the head and glue the plastic spike. Everything looks like the head is stuck on the spike.

I use a second rotting head and the same way glue it to the horse back. Only this time I made the spike myself from a plastic stick.

Rider

My rider is very simple. I used most of the parts from Skullcrushers box. I only used the shoulder strap and legs from CK box and previously cut horns from WoC head.

I gave the horns the correct angle to fit to the shoulder strap.

The conversion and work where very simple and fast and I proceed to painting.

Base

As Khorne don't like Slanessh I decided to go this way for the shield and helmet colours.

  • Basecote: Abaddon Black

  • Layer: Runfang Steal
  • Wash: Drakenhof Nightshade
  • Highlight: Runfang Steal
  • Wash: Nuln Oil

Sand

  • Layer: Rhinox Hide
  • Layer: Runfang Steal
  • Drybrush: Steel Legion Drab
  • Drybrush: 1:1 Steel Legion Drab / Ushabti Bone
  • Drybrush: 1:2 Steel Legion Drab / Ushabti Bone
  • Drybrush: Ushabti Bone

The final drybrush with Ushabti Bone is very light.

Horse

Metal parts

  • Layer: Warpstone Bronze
  • Drybrush: Necron Compound
  • Wash: Nuln Oil

Armour

  • Layer: 2:1 Khorne Red with Abaddon Black
  • Wash: Nuln Oil
  • Highlight: Khorne Red
  • Highlight: Mephiston Red

Horse body

  • Layer: Abaddon Black
  • Highlight: Eshin Grey
  • Highlight: Dawnstone

General parts

Bones

  • Layer: Zanduri Dust
  • Layer: Ushabti Bone
  • Wash: Seraphim Sepia
  • Highlight: Usabti Bone
  • Highlight: Screaming Scull

Gold

  • Layer: BalthazarGold
  • Layer: Gehenna Gold
  • Wash: Agrex Earthshade
  • Highlight: Runfang Steal

Rider

Armour

  • Layer: Khorne Red
  • Wash: Nuln Oil
  • Highlight: Mephiston Red
  • Highlight: Evil Scun Scarlet

Weapon

  • Layer: Ledbealcher
  • Wash: Nuln Oil
  • Highlight: Runfang Steal

Warrior head on spike

I wanted to celebrate my first battle and my oponent who was playing Nurgle WoC and I decided to go with green WoC head. I don't have a lot of green paints so I did it this way:

  • Caliban Green
  • Glaze: Bloodletter
  • Wash: Nuln Oil
  • Highlight: 1:1 Caliban Green / Warpstone Glow
Horns
  • Abaddon Black
  • Dawnstone

I apply only a little bit of the glaze here and there but not on the whole head.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial. You can view the gallery here.

No comments:

Post a Comment