2 Aug 2019

Terrain showcase & tutorial - home made winter style game mat

warhammer winter mat

In today post I want to show how in a cheap and fast way I created my first gaming mat – winter style.



I got the inspiration from tutorial created by Gray Army Gaming on you tube – you can watch it here. I fallowed his steps, but I skipped the brush blend and only use sponge method. Using the same colours on the mat really blended the board with terrain.

Step by step


I got a cheap white bed sheet from my local store but now I would recommend paying bit more and getting a thicker one. I stretch it on my MDF board and iron it.

wargame winter board

For painting I used my standard set of colours for winter terrain – see here. The only additional step - was doing an overall sponge dabbing with white paint and creating few big white blobs of “snow”. After every layer of paint, I used a hairdryer to speed up the paint drying.

warhammer winter terrain

When I was happy with all the colours I used again the hairdryer to speed up the drying process. I covered the mat with a white cloth and iron it until it was fully dry. The ironing as well helped with blending the colours together.

wargame winter mat

Final step was to cut of the remaining sheet and again iron the mat.

kill team winter mat

Overall the whole process took around 7 hours and result was a 3x3 mat – perfect for my kill team games.

Example with some of my winter terrain

warhammer winter mat

home made wargame mat

warhammer winter terrain

warhammer cheap mat

In following weeks, I will be posting more photos of my winter tundra kill zones with different winter terrain set up. You can as well check the terrain showcases and tutorials of my winter stuff here.















No comments:

Post a Comment